The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy.
2016 KEY ELECTION DATES FOR NEW YORK STATE VOTERS
State and Local Primaries - Tuesday 13 September 2016 (subject to change)
In New York State the deadline for a previously registered voter to declare or change a party affiliation was October 2015. If you are a registered voter and did not declare or change party affiliation before 9 October 2015 you are not eligible to vote in the 2016 primaries. New registrants who declare a party affiliation when they register are eligible to vote in the 2016 primaries.
- Absentee ballot- Ballot request by mail no later than 6 September, in person no later than 12 September. Completed ballot returned by mail no later than 12 September, in person no later than 13 September.
- Change of Address no later than 24 August.
General Election - Tuesday 8 November 2016
REMEMBER: You must be registered in order to vote. You may register if you are 18 years of age by Election Day; a resident of the county for at least 30 days prior to the election, and a citizen of the United States.
- Register in person by Friday, October 14th
- Register by mail: Postmarked by Friday, October 14th and received by October 19th
- Apply for absentee ballot in person by Monday, November 7th
- Apply for absentee ballot by mail: postmarked by Tuesday, November 1st
- Deliver ballot in person by Tuesday, November 8th
- Deliver ballot by mail: postmarked by Monday, November 7th and received by Saturday, November 12th
If you have moved since the last time you voted, you must re-register.